|HERINA: Bistrita County|
The cemetery is located in Herina, no. 86, code 4421, judet Bistrita, Romania at 4701 2425, 195.9 miles NNW of Bucharest and 18 km from Bistrita. Alternate names: Harina (Hungarian), Monchsdorf (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 31 and in 1930 was 87. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1943.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road,
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1920. Tombstones date from the 19th century. The granite, marble, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. The caretaker pays a fee to the Jewish community from Bistrita for using the land of the cemetery. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 21, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Trifan Vasile, Herina. [January 2003]