|GURGHIU: Mures County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located in Gurghiu, near the village, cod 4281, judet Mures, 4646 2451, 172.0 miles NNW of Bucharest and 10 km from Reghin. Alternate name is Gorgeny Szent Imre (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 7 and in 1930 was 66. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 3000 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 7 August 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Naza Carol, Gurghiu [January 2003]