|GURASADA: Hunedoara County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located at Gurasada 2745, judet Hunedoara, 4553 2254, 34 km from Deva. Alternate name: Guraszada (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 16, by 1900 census was 21, and in 1930 was 15. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog The cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1985.
The hill and hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 38 x 28 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, iron, and concrete flat shaped snd smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are in village residential setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. Security is a moderate threat.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey in 24 September 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Maris David, 24. 09. 2000, Gurasada. [January 2003]