|GROSI: Bihor County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located in Grosi, 3586, com. Auseu, judet Bihor, Romania at 4702 2229, 250.2 miles NW of Bucharest and 3.9 miles SE km of Alesd at 4704 2225. Alternate name: Totos (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000.with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 17, by 1900 census was 15, and in 1930 was 11. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox c cemetery was established in end of 19th century Last known burial was first half of 20th century.
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 33 x 30 m. [?]1-20 stones are in original location. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery or vandalized in the last ten years. [sic] Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 6 July 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Furlan Maria, 06. 07. 2000, Grosi. [January 2003]