|GLOD: Salaj County [Glód]|
Alternate names: Glod [Rom, Yid], Glód [Hun].
47°43' N, 24°05' E, 18 miles SSE of Sighetu Marmaţiei (Sziget), 23 miles E of Baia Mare.. Jewish population: 133 (in 1877), 225 (in 1920).
The cemetery is located in the center of the village, Glod, 4678, judet Salaj, 4717 2339, 229.3 miles NNW of Bucharest and 31 km from Dej. Alternate names: Szamossosmezo (Hungarian) and Glatt (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1857 Jewish population by census was 76 and in 1930 was 38. The Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Dej in May 1944 and deported to Auschwitz between May 28-June 8, 1944.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post -WWII size is 100 m x 26 m. 20-100 stones are visible, all in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Gravestones missing from the cemetery are in a museum or with a conservator. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th century marble, granite, and "other" material memorial markers are only common gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents. No care now. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. Weather erosion and vegetation are serious threats.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Str., Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania visited the site and completed the survey on April 4, 2000 using the following documentation:
He interviewed Lacatus Eleonora in Glod. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 10 January 2015 12:38|