GIURGIU: Giurgiu County Print

During our September trip to visit my father's grave site [We had been there a few years before.] The general condition at that time was not good but compared to what we saw now was exemplary. At that time we paid the caretaker, Ivanus Dumitru, to secure the head stone and take care of the grave site. When we returned last month we were appalled by the sight. He obviously did nothing but take the money. He was not there when we visited Sept. 20, 2009. Again we paid a young man [who was working at the adjacent Christian cemetery to secure the head stone and clean around the grave site. My understanding is that the Jewish community in Pitesti is responsible for taking care of this Jewish cemetery in Giurjiu.  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  [November 2009]

 

The cemetery is located at Giurgiu, 8375, Mihai Viteazu Str. no. 1, judet Giurgiu. 4353 2558, 38.5 miles S of Bucharest and 60 km from Bucuresti. Current town population is over 100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Mayor Iliescu Lucian, Town Hall of Giurgiu, Mircea cel Batrin Str. no. 15, tel.:0040-46-215102
  • The Jewish Community of Pitesti, 19 Noiembrie Str. no. 1, Romania, tel.: 0040-48-632300
  • The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str. no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History,
    Universitatii Str. no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director:
    Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Caretaker: Ivanus Dumitru, Mihai Viteazul Str. no. 1, Giurgiu

The Jewish population by census was 427 in 1889 and 450 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox The cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1996.

The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. Masonry wall with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 120 x 100 m. 100-500 stones are visible. 100-500 are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Some have portraits on stones and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. No known mass graves.

The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent property is (local cemetery.) Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Pitesti. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house. The chapel is now the caretaker's house. No threats.

Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 9 July 2001 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul general al populatiunei Romaniei din decembrie 1899 (The
    General Census of the Population of Romania from December 1889), Bucuresti,
  • Lito-tipografia L. Motzatzeanu, 1900
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei Romaniei din 29 decembrie 1930, vol. II (The General Census of the Population of Romania from 29 December 1930, vol. II), Bucuresti, 1938
  • N. Iorga, Istoria evreilor in terile noastre (The History of the Jews of our Countries), Bucuresti, 1913.
  • M. Schwarzfeld, O ochire asupra istoriei evreilor din timpurile cele mai departate pina la anul 1850, (A look at the Jewish History from The beginning until 1850), Bucuresti, 1887
  • C. Iancu, Evreii din Romania 1866-1919 (The Jews from Romania), Bucuresti
    1996

Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Ivanus Dumitru in Giurgiu. [January 2003]

 

Last Updated on Friday, 06 November 2009 20:34