|GALOSPETREU: (Bihor County, Transylvania)|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located at Galospetreu, 3765, com. Tarcea, judet Bihor, Romania at 4729 2213, 281.2 miles NW of Bucharest and 30 km from Sacuieni. Alternate name: Galospetri (Hungarian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 103 and was 55 in 1900. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of 19th century. Last known burial was 1945.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 16 x 6 m. 1-20 stones are visible. All gravestones are in original location. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of 19th century. The 20th century marble and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. No threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 3 July 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Rezmives Carol, 30. 06. 2000, Galospetreu. [January 2003]