|GALATII BISTRITEI: Bistrita judet|
The cemetery is located in Galatii Bistritei, near the village, cod 4420, judet Bistrita, Romania at 4659 2424, 194.2 miles NNW of Bucharest and 24 km from Bistrita. Alternate names: Galac (Hungarian), Heresdorf (German). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 4 and from 1930 census was 41. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 30 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. Tombstones date from the 19th century. The limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Vegetation is a "moderate" threat since the vegetation makes difficult access.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 21, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Somfelean Ioan, Galatii Bistritei. [January 2003]