|GAESTI: (Dimbovita County)|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located at Gaesti, 0150, Campului Str., no. 35, judet Dimbovita. 4443 2519, 30 km from Tirgoviste and 43.2 miles WNW of Bucharest. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 150 in 1889 and 130 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox The cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1960.
The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 50 x 40 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1916. Tombstones date from the 20th century.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Pitesti. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house. The chapel is now the caretaker's house. No threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 6 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Dumitru Gabriel in Gaesti. [January 2003]