|FINTANELE: Bistrita County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located in Fintanele, no. ___, code 4455, judet Bistrita, 4656 2417, 16.7 miles of Bistrita and 193.6 miles NNW of Bucharest. Alternate names: Ujos (Hungarian), Eisch (German), Fantanele (Romanian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was one and from 1930 census was thirteen. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation and repair of wall. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Gheorghe Mihai, Fintanele [January 2003]