|FELEAC: Bistrita County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania F-J The cemetery is located in Feleac, near the village, code 4586. Bistrita, 4705 2415, 203.5 miles NNW of Bucharest and 28 km from Bistrita. Alternate name: Fellak (Hungarian), Falk (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1857 Jewish population by census was 13, in 1880 was 18, in 1900 was 18, and in 1930 was 13. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence surrounds the site with a gate that locks. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m.x 15 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite and limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]