|DUMITRENI: Mures County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery is located at Dumitreni, no. 55, cod. 3270, judet Mures, 4624 2445, 150.7 miles NNW of Bucharest and 30 km from Targu Mures. The alternate name is Szent Demeter (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 38 and from 1930 census was 15. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox 19th century cemetery's last burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size was and post-WWII size is 70 m x 50 m/ 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
?The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and limestone flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed in Viforoasa. Dumitreni, Borsos Marton. [January 2003]