You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania DUMITRENI: Mures County, Transylvania
DUMITRENI: Mures County, Transylvania PDF Print E-mail

 

International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery is located at Dumitreni, no. 55, cod. 3270, judet Mures, 4624 2445, 150.7 miles NNW of Bucharest and 30 km from Targu Mures. The alternate name is Szent Demeter (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Mate Janos, Balauseri, tel. 127 428, 578 949.
  • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Str., no. 23, cod 4300, Tel. 0040 - 65 161810, Tîrgu Mures, Romania.
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str., no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder: Borsos Marton, no. 55, Dumitreni.

The 1850 Jewish population by census was 38 and from 1930 census was 15. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox 19th century cemetery's last burial was 20th century.

The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size was and post-WWII size is 70 m x 50 m/ 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

?The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and limestone flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 11 August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (The 1850 Jewish population census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed in Viforoasa. Dumitreni, Borsos Marton. [January 2003]

 

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution