|DUMBRAVENI: Sibiu County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Dumbraveni, Ciobanului Str., cod 3130, judet Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania. The alternate names are Erzsebetvaros (Hungarian) and Elisabethstadt (German.)
4614 2434, 144.9 miles NNW of Bucharest and 18 km from Medias.
The Jewish population by census was ten in 1838 registered 10, 14 in 1850, five in 1857, 23 in 1869-1870, 19 in 1880 registered, 170 in 1910, and 91 in 1930. The Jews from Sibiu County, Transylvania were taken by force and introduced into forced work detachments. They were deported all over the country, and especially in Moldova, between 1942-1944. The 19th and 20th century unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery on isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. The pre- and post-WWII size is 75 m x 50 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, sandstone, and limestone memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. Have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap. 6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190 849 and Popa Cosmina, Tatra Str., no. 4, ap. 11, Cluj Napoca, tel: 128 764 visited the site and completed the survey on December 13, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]