|DROBETA-TURNU SEVERIN: Mehedinti County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery is located at Bv. Revolutiei, 1500, judet Mehedinti, Romania. 4438 2240, 169.5 miles W of Bucharest and 96 km from Tirgu Jiu. Current town population is over 100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 815 was 1889 and 388 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1989. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has sign in Romanian that mentions Jews. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall and a gate that locks surround the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 220 x 70 m. 100-500 stones are visible with 100-500 in original location and 100-500 stones not in original location. 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem preventing access and disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year.
The cemetery has special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1870. The 19th and 20th century memorial markers are marble, granite, slate, iron, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Some have portraits on stones and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, Romanian, and Hungarian. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last ten years. Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. Vegetation, incompatible nearby development, and vandalism are moderate threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 5 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Filipescu Dan, 05. 07. 2001, Drobeta Turnu Severin. [January 2003]