|DRINCENI: Vaslui County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery is located in Dranceni, judet Vaslui, 4649 2806, 190.8 miles NNE of Bucharest and 65 km from Iasi. Alternate name: Dranceni (Romanian). Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1900 census was zero and in 1930 was 89. Mihail Kogalniceanu founded the town in 1862. The cemetery was established in approximately 1900. Last known burial was 1950 in the unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 5 km from the congregation that used it. The isolated rural/agricultural hill has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 500 x 500 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from the 20th century. Tombstones date from the 20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. Some have portraits on stones. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Chiriac Gheorghe, com. Dranceni, judet Vaslui on September 17, 2000. [January 2003]