International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F
Located in Dragus, near the village, cod 2341, judet Brasov, Transylvania, Romania at 4545 2447, 111.3 miles NW of Bucharest and 32 km from Fagaras. . The alternate name is Dragus (Hungarian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Mayor Sofronia Dorin, Vistea
- The Jewish Community of Brasov, cod 2200, Brasov, Romania, Tel. 0040-68-143532.
- The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str. no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
- "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str. no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant,
- Caretaker and key holder: none
The Jewish population by census was four in 1857, thirteen in 1910, and zero in 1930. The 19th and 20th century unlandmarked Orthodox isolated rural woods/forest hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is entirely closed. A fence with a no gate surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The 19th century limestone and sandstone memorial markers are flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed
common gravestones with inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance or care. No structures. No threats.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap. 6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190
849 and Popa Cosmina, Tatra Str., no. 4, ap. 11, Cluj Napoca, tel: 128 764 visited the site and completed the survey on December 16, 2000 using the following documentation:
- The General Census of the Population of Transylvania 1850, Bucharest, Ed. Staff, 1996
- The General Census of the Population of Transylvania 1857, Bucharest, Ed. Staff, 1997
- The General Census of the Population of Transylvania 1880, Bucharest, Ed. Staff, 1999
- The General Census of the Population of Transylvania 1910, Bucharest, Ed. Staff, 2000
- Ernest Wager, Historisch - Statistisches - Ortsnamenbuch fur Siebenburgen, Koln-Wien, Ed. Bohlau, 1977
- Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Istoria evreilor din Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucharest, 1994
- Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitãþilor din Transilvania, I-II, Bucharest, 1968.
- Recensamintul general al populatiei din Transilvania - 1930 decembrie 29, I-III, Bucharest, 1938
- Ladislau Gyemant,
, The Jews of Transylvania in the Age of Emancipation (1790-1867), Bucharest, Edit. Enciclopedica, 2000
No interviews. [January 2003]