|DOMNIN: Salaj County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is locate at Domnin, near the village (in the forest), code 4695, judet Salaj, 4720 2311, 244.4 miles NW of Bucharest and 12 km from Jibou. Alternate name: Dabjon (Hungarian).
Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 23, in 1857 was 17, in 1880 was 13, in 1900 was 31, in 1910 was 14, and in 1930 was 19. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and on May 31, June 3, 6 they were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The hill and hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 45 x 30 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a serious threat. (The vegetation is disturbing the gravestones.)
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 29, 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Oprea interviewed no one. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Friday, 23 January 2009 00:39|