|DOBRA: Hunedoara County|
The cemetery is located at Dobra, 2743, judet Hunedoara, 4555 2234, 200.1 miles WNW of Bucharest and 30 km from Deva. The alternate names is Hunyaddobra (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 60, by 1900 census was 73, and was 15 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The hill and hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A masonry wall and fence with a non-locking gate surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 34 x 24 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone smoothed and inscribed and carved relief decorated Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey in 24 September 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]