DEDA: Mures County, Transylvania Print

 

International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery location is Deda, Principala Str., no. 98, cod. 4229, judet Mures, 4656 2454, 182.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and.25 km from Reghin. Alternate name: Deda (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Pascan Gavril, Deda, tel 531 201, 531 237.
  • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Str., no. 23, cod 4300, Tel. 0040 - 65 161810, Tîrgu Mures, Romania.
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str., no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Pascan Iosif, Principala Str., no. 98, Deda.

The 1850 Jewish population by census was 43 Jewish inhabitants and from 1930 census was 170 Jewish inhabitants. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4 were deported to Auschwitz. The 19th century unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery's last burial was 20th century. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 1400 m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. Tombstones date from the 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces and multistone monuments. No known mass graves.

The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are "other."
Pre- and post-WWII size is the same. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.

Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (The 1850 Jewish population census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

They interviewed Pascan Iosif, Deda. [January 2003]