|DEDA: Mures County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F The cemetery location is Deda, Principala Str., no. 98, cod. 4229, judet Mures, 4656 2454, 182.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and.25 km from Reghin. Alternate name: Deda (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 43 Jewish inhabitants and from 1930 census was 170 Jewish inhabitants. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4 were deported to Auschwitz. The 19th century unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery's last burial was 20th century. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 1400 m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. Tombstones date from the 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces and multistone monuments. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are "other."
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Pascan Iosif, Deda. [January 2003]