|DEAJ: Mures County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania D-F Current town names are Deaj and Tarnaveni. The cemetery is located in Deaj,\ at the end of the village, cod 3243, judet Mures, 4621 2424, 155.9 miles NNW of Bucharest and 10 km from Tarnaveni. Alternate name: Desfalva (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 4 and in 1930 was 2. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 August 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed no one. [January 2003]