|CURTUIUSENI: (Bihor County, Transylvania)|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located at Curtuiuseni, 3773, judet Bihor, Romania at 4733 2212, 285.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 9 km from Valea lui Mihai. Alternate name is Erkortvelyes (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 132 and was 83 in 1900. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in end of 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size was 60 x 40 m. 1-20 stones are in original location, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and sandstone flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation.,
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 3 July 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Cosa Alexandru, Curtuiuseni. [January 2003]