|CUCIULATA: Brasov County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located at Cuciulata, near the village, cod 3038, judet Brasov, Transylvania, Romania. Alternate name is Kucsulata (Hungarian.) 4556 2516, 111.2 miles NNW of Bucharest and 6.56 km from Brasov. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was seven in 1850, eighteen in was 1910, and three in 1930.
The unlandmarked Orthodox 19th and 20th century cemetery on an isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is entirely closed. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. The approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 40 m x 30 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance or care. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap. 6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190
No interviews. [January 2003]