|CRISTURI - CRISENI: Salaj County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located near the village of Cristur-Criseni, code 4752, judet Salaj, 4715 2305, 242.6 miles NW of Bucharest and 9 km from Zalau. Alternate name: Szilagyfokeresztur (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 0, in 1857 was 8, in 1880 was 23, in 1900 was 20, in 1910 was 22., and from 1930 census was 14. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and on May 31, June 3, 6 they were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated hill and hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 25 m. x 25 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone, marble and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 29, 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Oprea interviewed Grad Cornel, Inspector for Culture, Zalau. [January 2003]