|CRAIOVA: Oltenia (Dolj Judet)|
Alternate names: Craiova [Rom], Krajova [Serb], Croiova, Belkiralymezo, Canalu. Jewish population: 2,891 (1891). Capitol of Dolj county. 44°19' N, 23°48' E. References: Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 281: "Craiova". JewishGen Romanian SIG. Eight villages administered by the city are Făcăi, Mofleni, Popoveni, Şimnicu de Jos, Cernele, Cernelele de Sus, Izvoru Rece and Rovine. A fire in the late 19th century destroyed the community archive. In 1977, the earthquake destroyed the Sefardic Temple. A monument was erected in memory of local Jews who fell in the Balkans Wars and WWI. Situated in southern Romania close to the Danube river (border with Bulgaria), Craiova was/is an important Romanian commercial center due to contacts of Jews on both sides of the border.
ShtetLink [July 2010]
Romanian Jewish Community information about Craiova. [July 2010]
Jewish Virtual Library. [July 2010]
Cemetery: The Sefardic Jewish cemetery is at least 200 years old. [July 2010]
US Commission 2001 Report: The cemetery is located at Craiova, Bucovat Str. no. 209, 1100, judet Dolj, Romania 4. Dolj County, Romania. 4419 2348, 113.8 miles W of Bucharest and 90 km from Rimnicu Vilcea. Current town population is over 100,000 with 100-1,000 Jews.
The 1889 Jewish census population was 2891 and was 2176 in 1930. Mauriciu Dorosteanu, first president of the Sephardic Community of Craiova (1862-1935) is buried there. The still-active unlandmarked Orthodox The cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Buried there are Cohanim: Iosef Cohen Bogotem, Elie Bohar, and Itzhac Hakohen; and Rabbi User Segal (1905-1959.)
The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has Jewish symbols on wall or gate. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall, a gate that locks, and fence surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 3. 5 ha. 500-5000 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1876. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, sandstone, slate, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, sculpted monuments, and multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and Romanian inscriptions. Some have iron decoration or lettering, portraits on stones, and metal fences around graves. A memorial to Jewish soldiers exists. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are recreational and a Catholic cemetery. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Craiova. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house with a tahara and catafalque. Incompatible nearby development is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 11 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Caravan Nicolae, 11. 07. 2001, Craiova. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 31 July 2010 15:43|