|CORABIA: Olt County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located at Corabia, Stefan cel Mare Str. no. 2, 0875, judet Olt, Romania. 4347 2430, 91.1 miles WSW of Bucharest and 30 km from Turnu Magurele. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The 1889 Jewish census population was 80 and was 72 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1960.
The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission via a broken masonry wall with a gate that locks. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 64 x 18 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated gravestones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been clearing vegetation by a regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Incompatible nearby development is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Papa Florin, 10. 07. 2001, Corabia. [January 2003]