|CONSTANTA: Constanta jud, Dobrogea County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C Located at 44°11' 28°39' in Constanta county, Dobruja region. Alternate name: Costanza/Constantiana/Kustenji/Kyustendja/Tomis Constaniniana. http://www.rotravel.com/counties/const/map.htm has county map. [December 2000]
The cemetery is located at Str. Baraganului no. 4, Constanta, judet Constanta, 4411 2839, 127.2 miles E of Bucharest. Current town population is over 100,000 with 100-1,000 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 833 in 1900 and was 1677 in 1930. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was Goldenberg Charles (May, 2001.) The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 2 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated urban flat land has Jewish symbols on wall or gate to mark the cemetery. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 300 m x 400 m. More than 5,000 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Stones removed from the cemetery are in a cemetery in Bulgaria. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
The cemetery has special sections for Cohanim and children. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, slate, and "other" (probably cement.) Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements and portraits on stones, sculpted monuments, and multi-stone monuments. Some have iron decoration or lettering, carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, Yiddish, German, Hungarian, and Romanian. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to pogrom victims and Jewish soldiers.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Frequently, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker.
Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house with a tahara, catafalque, and an ohel. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Croitoru Petre, Str. Baraganului no. 4, Constanta. [January 2003]
See: abandoned sites Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe by Ruth Ellen Gruber- New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992- universal 201, 215-216.