|CHIESD: Salaj County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located in Chiesd, near the village, code 4795, judet Salaj, 4723 2253, 255.6 miles NW of Bucharest and 39 km from Zalau. Alternate name: Kovesd (Hungarian). Current town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 13, in 1857 was 7, in 1880 was 25, in 1900 was 44, in 1910 was 41, and in 1930 was 26. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and were deported to Auschwitz on May 31, June 6 and 8. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII and post-WWII size is 15 m x 35 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a serious threat. Vegetation is disturbing the graves.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 29, 2000 using the following documentation:
Grad Cornel, Inspector for Culture, Zalau was interviewed. [January 2003]