|CHET: Bihor County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located at Marghita, 3765, Chet village, judet Bihor, Romania at 4725 2221, 273.6 miles NW of Bucharest and 5 km from Marghita. Alternate name is Kec (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 41 and was nineteen in 1900 and in 1930. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of 19th century. Last known burial was first half of 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 16 x 62 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of 19th century
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery with no maintenance or care now. No structures. Security and vegetation are serious threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 30 June 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu conducted no interviews. [January 2003]