|CERMEI: Arad County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located in Cermei, on northwest side of the village, neighboring the Roman Catholic Cemetery, 2863, judet Arad, 4633 2151, 252.3 miles NW of Bucharest and 75 km from Arad. Alternate name: Csermo (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 104 and in 1910 census was 122. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1960.
Bordering the Catholic cemetery, cemetery is situated between the grain fields. The gravestones would need some restoration. The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 19 m x 50 m. 20-100 stones are visible, all in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and "other" boulders, flat shaped, and smoothed and inscribed and double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. No care now. No structures.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Str., Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
He visited the site September 9, 2000 and interviewed Oprisan Ioan, Cermeii. [January 2003]