|CEHU SILVANIEI: Salaj County [Horoatu Cehului (Oláhhorvát), Motiș (Mutos), Nadiș (Szilágynádasd),Ulciug (Völcsök).]|
Cehu Silvaniei (Hungarian: Szilágycseh, until 1854 Szilágy-Cseh, meaning "Czechs of Szilágy") is a town comprised of four villages: Horoatu Cehului (Oláhhorvát), Motiș (Mutos), Nadiș (Szilágynádasd) and Ulciug (Völcsök). 47°25′5″N 23°17′12″E
COMUNITATEA EVREILOR ZALAU
DAN HAS, Presedinte
Telefon : +40 744 647 119
wikipedia cemetery report is copied from this page.
See Blog: jewish-salaj.BlogSpot.ro for photo [Jan 2017]
US Commission Report:
The cemetery is located at Cehu Silvaniei, Closca Str. no. 8, code 4762, judet Salaj, 4725 2311, 249.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and 34 km from Zalau. Alternate name: Szilagycseh (Hungarian) Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 63, in 1857 was 66, in 1880 was 206, in 1900 was 369, in 1910 was 517, and in 1930 was 551. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehu Silvaniei, then in that from Simleul Silvaniei and on May 31, June 6, 8 they were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 500 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, sandstone, and limestone boulders, flat and shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief decorated gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 29, 2000 using the following documentation:
Popa Cosmina & Oprea Ioana interviewed Sincraian Dumitru, Cehu Silvaniei. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 January 2017 13:09|