|CAMPINA: Prahova County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C The cemetery is located at Str. Bobalna no. 47, Campina, judet Prahova. 4508 2544, 51.6 miles NNW of Bucharest and 95 km from Bucuresti. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 63 in 1899 and 279 in 1930. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was Sebetay Marcel in 1996. The unlandmarked Orthodox, cemetery is 1.5 km from the congregation that used it.
The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has sign in Romanian. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 130 m x 60 m. 100-500 stones are visible. 100-500 gravestones are in original location. All gravestones are in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1898. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and slate memorial markers have Hebrew, German, and Romanian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements and portraits on stones and sculpted monuments. Some have portraits on stones and metal fences around graves.
The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. No threats.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Ionescu Vasile, Str. Lacului no. 9, Campina on May 2, 2001. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 06:26|