|CALAFAT: Dolj County|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania C
The cemetery is located at Calafat, Bv. Horea Closca si Crisan, 1275, judet Dolj, Romania.
The 1889 Jewish census population was eighty and was 56 in 1930. The Orthodox, unlandmarked cemetery was established at end of the 19th century with last known burial in 1970. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached via other public local cemetery, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is unknown. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1898. The 19th and 20th century marble, slate, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated have Hebrew, German, and Romanian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and the Greek-Orthodox cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 11 July 2001 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]