|CADEA: Bihor County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located in Cadea, 3750, com. Sacuieni, judet Bihor, Romania at 4720 2205, 278.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 4 km from Sacuieni. Alternate name: Nagykagya (Hungarian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 84, by 1900 census was 36, and in 1930 was 29. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of 19th century with last known burial in inter-war period. The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 33 x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1892. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, and local stone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 2 July 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Fodor Sandor, 02. 07. 2000, Cadea. [January 2003]