|BUCECEA: Botosani judet|
Alternate names: Bucea, Buccea, Bucecca. Located at 47°46' N, 26°26' E in NE Romania, 11 miles W of Botoşani, 13 miles NE of Suceava. 1900 Jewish population: 1,281. JOWBR: Bucecea. Jewish community probably dates from 1825. 1831 Jewish Census: 98; 1899 Jewish census: 112; and 1930 Jewish Census 848.
Jewish cemetery located at Soseaua Principala no. 1 in an overgrown rectangular stand of trees is about 1 mile east of the town center along the main road to Botosani and easily visible from a large windmill overlooking the town at the top of hill about 1 mile further east. A small cement fence surrounds the cemetery with an unlocked gate directly down a steep hill from the road. The last known Jewish burial was 1945. Three rabbis are buried in a separate locked building inside the inactive cemetery.Cattle pastures surround the cemetery. Photos. Photos and history. Jewish community that used the cemetery probably was Orthodox, Hassidic, and Sephardic. [July 2010]
47°46' N, 26°26' E, In NE Romania, 11 miles W of Botoşani, 13 miles NE of Suceava. 1900 Jewish population: 1,281. The town was founded in the 1820s and was heavily Hasidic. In 1937, five synagogues and prayer houses existed.
Also see BOTOSANI
Alternate name: Bucecea/Bucheche. Located at 47°46' 26°26' in Botosani judet with no current Jewish population. The burials are not indexed. Older stones with Hebrew lettering only are well preserved. From an adjacent hill, one can look down into the cemetery site that is in a beautiful natural setting of rolling hills and a valley. The cemetery is easily accessed. The caretaker, Nicolai Amoraritsu, who lives in the village, has the key. The earliest Jewish community in the town possibly dates from 1825. Three rabbis are buried in a separate locked building inside the inactive cemetery. The Jewish community probably was Orthodox, Hassidic, and Sephardic. The isolated urban/suburban flat land in a lovely valley is separate with a sign in Romanian. Reached by turning directly off a public road, the cemetery is surrounded by a high continuous masonry wall and a gate with a lock. The current size is one to two acres. The cemetery is divided into older and newer areas with the separate building for the rabbis. About 100 gravestones are less than 25% toppled or broken with in Hebrew, Yiddish, and Romanian inscriptions. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Weather erosion and pollution are a slight threat. This survey was completed by Naomi Paltiel Lowi, 4858 Cote D. Neiges #807C, Montreal, Canada H3V1G8, tel 514-735-5729 on 28 Aug 1997. She visited the site on 22 Jul 1997. Documentation may exist in the Botosani Jewish Community office. She interviewed the caretaker and Mrs. Muraru Strongaru, a resident of Buceca who directed her to the cemetery. 
US Commission Report No. _?
The cemetery is located at Soseaua Principala no. 1, Bucecea, Botosani judet, Moldavia region at 47°40' 26°28', 2 km from Botosani. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1831 Census registered 98 Jewish inhabitants and that from 1899 registered 112 Jewish inhabitants. The 1930 Census registered 848 Jewish inhabitants. The Jewish Community was founded in 1828. This unlandmarked Conservative Jewish century was established in the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial was in 1945. The site is 2 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated flat suburban location has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall and gate that locks surround the site. The pre- and post-WWII size is 200 m X 50 m. 20 to 100 gravestones are visible in the cemetery with none in original location. 50% - 75% of the tombstones are broken or toppled. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 06 January 2011 16:39|