|BRINCOVENESTI: Mures County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania Bo-Bu
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 15 and in 1930 was 20. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 80 x 70 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 7 August 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Medve Mihaly, Brancovenesti. [January 2003]