|BOGHIS: Satu Mare County, Transylvania|
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Romania Bo-Bu The cemetery is located in Boghis, 3989, com. Doba, judet Satu Mare, 4746 2240, 282.8 miles NW of Bucharest and 18 km from Satu Mare. Alternate name: Csengerbagos (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 88, by 1900 census was 78, and in 1930 was 8. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Satu Mare and on May 19, 22, 26, 29, 30, 31, and June 1 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 29 x 28 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey 23 July 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Visoran Gheorghe, Boghis. [January 2003]