|BIRLAD: Vaslui judet, Moldavia [Barlad, Berlad, BÎRLAD, BÂRLAD, BERLAD בערלאַד [|
Alternate name: Barlad, Berlad, BÎRLAD [ROM], BÂRLAD, BERLAD and בערלאַד [YID], BARLÁD. . Located at 46°14' 27°40' in Vaslui judet. Current Jewish population: 10-50. Birlad has three cemeteries.
Jewish Families from Birlad [June 0214]
Person to contact about grave locations is Mr. Bernard Usher, Head of the Jewish Community, Republicii No. 304, bloc H3, apt. 27, Sc. B, Birlad, tel. 035-412001. The Jewish Community Office has a "Kedusha", listing burials in a record book from 1899 forward. The synagogue is Templul Mare, Str. Kirov 5, Birlad. Mr. Meyer Caufman is the official. Templul Poale Tedec (demolished) also used this cemetery. Dr. Jeffrey B. Rosenberg, 222 Oakridge, Daytona Beach, Florida 32118 also is interested in the site and may share information.
A local farmer is the caretaker. The inactive Orthodox cemetery on an isolated rural (agricultural) hillside is reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing private property. Access is open with permission. The cemetery is divided into sections for men and women. The oldest gravestone dates from 1899. 500-1000 gravestones are in the cemetery in original location with less than 25% broken or toppled. Many of the flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, sculpted monuments, multi-stone monuments, horizontally set stones, flat-low inground plaques, obelisks, or mausoleums have portraits on the stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. The local Jewish community owns the property. Properties adjacent to the cemetery are agricultural. Past maintenance includes re-erection of stones. Jeffrey Rosenberg was responsible for this work completed in 1995. Vegetation overgrowth is a problem.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 June 2014 23:22|