|BILED: (jud. Timis (Billét , Billéd)|
Alternate names: Biled [Rom], Billét [Hun], Billéd. 45°53' N, 20°58' E. 1877 Jewish population: 17. Biled commune included two other villages until 2004, when they split off to form Şandra Commune.
45°53' 20°57, 269.9 miles WNW of Bucharest and 26 km from Timisoara. Alternate names: Billed (Hungarian), Billed (German). Town's current population is 500-1000 with no Jews.
Local authority: Mayor Suparan Sorin, Townhall of Biled, jud. Timis
Local religious authority: The Jewish Community of Timisoara, Gheorghe Lazar str., no. 5, Romania, tel. , Timisoara, 1900, Romania
National religious authority: Federation of Jewish Communities Romania, Str. Sf. Vineri 9-11, Bucureşti, Tel: (40-1) 613-2538, 143-0010-100. Contact: Mr. Alex Silvan
The Jewish population by census was seventeen in 1880; 21 in 1900 registered, three in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery dates from the end of the 19th century with the last known burial in 1923. The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all via a fence with non-locking gate.
No stones are toppled or broken. No stones were removed from the cemetery (probably.) Vegetation overgrowth and water drainage are good all year. No sections. Tombstones date from the end of the 19th century. The 20th century marble, carved relief decorated gravestones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and German. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery purposes only. Adjacent properties are residential and Catholic cemetery. The pre-1939 size is unknown. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. No vandalism in the last ten years. Clearing of vegetation is the care given. Occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. No threats.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 03 January 2013 16:00|