|BIHARIA: Bihor County, Transylvania (Bihar , Biharia, Buhar)|
Alternate names: Biharea [Rom], Bihar [Hun], Biharia, Buhar. 47°09' N, 21°55' E. Jewish population: 123 (in 1877). Biharia is a commune composed of two villages, Biharia and Cauaceu (Hegyközkovácsi) that has been rruled by the Ottoman Enpire, Habsburg Monarchy, Principality of Transylvania, Kingdom of Hungaryand Kingdom of Romania. After the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867, it became part of the Kingdom of Hungary within Austria-Hungary. After 1918/1920, the commune became part of Romania. As a result of the Second Vienna Award it returned toHungary between 1940 and 1944. Since then it has been part of Romania. [January 2013]
The cemetery is located at Biharia, 3744, Tudor Vladimirescu Str., judet Bihor, Romania at 4709 2155, 13 km from Oradea at 4704 2156. Alternate name: Bihar (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Two Jewish families are listed in 1828-1829 Jewish census. The 1880 Jewish population by census was 123, by 1900 census was 289, and in 1930 was 108. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. Noteworthy Jewish residents of the community were Dr. Viktor Schwimmer and Dr. Emmerich Hartstein. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in middle of 19th century. Last known burial was 1984
The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 56 x 38 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from middle of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, sandstone, concrete and local stone flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery has a Holocaust memorial. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential and local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 1 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 03 January 2013 15:53|