BELIU: Arad County, Transylvania (Bél . Bell, Beewl, Beeliu, Beliul), Beneşti, Bochia, Vasile Goldiş,, Mocirla), Secaci,Tăgădău Print

Alternate names: Beliu [Rom], Bél [Hun], Bell [Ger], Beél, Beéliu, Beliul. 46°29' N, 21°59' E, 38 miles ENE of Arad, 40 miles S of Oradea (Nagy-Várad). Jewish population: 69 (in 1880), 64 (in 1930). Beliu commune in the contact zone of Teuzului Plateau with Mărăușului Hills, along the Beliu River is composed of six villages: Beliu, Beneşti, Bochia, Vasile Goldiş (Lunca Teuzului until 2005, and until 1968 a separate commune called Mocirla), Secaci and Tăgădău. Its territory is 3695 ha.

 

CEMETERY:

The cemetery is located in Beliu, southern side of the village, on the field, 2856, judet Arad, 4629 2159, 244.5 miles NW of Bucharest and 60 km from Arad. Alternate name: Bel (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Tinca Pavel, Beliu, no. 35;
  • The Jewish Community of Arad, 10, Tribunul Dobra Str., 2900 Arad, Romania. Tel. +40-57-281310
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str., no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Carabut Ioan, Beliu, no. 423, judet Arad, Romania

The Jewish population by 1880 census was 69 and by 1910 census was 96. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 16 m x 68 m x 32 m. 20-100 stones are visible, all in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections. The abandoned cemetery's fencing was stolen. It is under some reconstruction.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and "other" material flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation and fixing wall. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Vandalism is a moderate threat.

Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Str., Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
completed the survey on August 29, 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Coriolan Suciu, Dicţionar istoric al localităţilor din Transilvania, I-II, Bucharest, 1968
  • Marki Sandor, Arad varmegye es Arad szabad kiralyi varos tortenete, Arad, 1895
  • 1880 census, Bucharest, Edit. Staff, 1999.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucharest, 1994 (in Romanian)

On August 28, 2000, he visited the site and interviewed Carabut Ioan [January 2003]

Last Updated on Thursday, 03 January 2013 14:19