47°18' 23°24', 236.7 miles NNW of Bucharest and 20 km from Jibou. The alternate Hungarian name is Aranymezo.The cemetery is near the village. Town's current population is 500-1000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 33 in 1850, 45 in 1857, 53 in 1880, 60 in 1900, 68 in 1910, and 87 in 1930. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Cehei ghetto, then in Simleul Silvaniei, and on May 31, June 3, 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery dates from 19th century. The last known Jewish burial was 20th century.
- Local authority: Mayor Vancea Dorel, tel. 604954, Babeni
- Local religious authority: The Jewish Community of Oradea, Mihai Viteazu str., No. 4, 3700 Oradea, Romania, tel. 0040-59-134843 (132587)
- National religious authority: Federation of Jewish Communities Romania, Str. Sf. Vineri 9-11, Bucureşti, Tel: (40-1) 613-2538, 143-0010-100. Contact: Mr. Alex Silvan
- Caretaker: none
The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker.
Reached by a public road, access is open to all via fence and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of the cemetery is 25 m x 15 m. 1-20 in original and 20-100 not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. No stones were removed from the cemetery (probably.)
Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No sections. The 19th and 20th century boulders, flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed gravestones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery purposes only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals is the care given. No structures. Vegetation is a moderate threat: a lot of grass disturbing the graves.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra str., no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj -Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 completed the survey and visited the site on September 30 , 2000.
Oprea Ioana & Popa Cosmina interviewed Grad Cornel, Inspector of Culture in Zalau and from personal observations.
- Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (The Census from 1850. Transylvania) coord. : Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
- Recensamantul din 1857. Transilvania (The Census from 1857. Transylvania) coord. : Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1997.
- Recensamantul din 1880. Transilvania (The Census from 1880. Transylvania) coord. : Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1997.
- Recensamantul din 1900. Transilvania (The Census from 1900. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj, 1999
- Recensamantul din 1910. Transilvania (The Census from 1910. Transylvania) coord. : Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1999.
- Moshe Carmilly-Weinberger, History of the Jews of Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
- Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
- Szilagy megye ? Salaj zsidosaganak emlekkonyve, ed. Giladi David, Tel Aviv, 1989.
- Recensamintul general al populatiei din Romania din 7 ianuarie 1992 (The General Census of the Population of Romania from January 7, 1992), vol. I, Bucuresti, 1994
- Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The historical dictionary of localities from Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967