|BABADAG: judet Tulcea ( BABADAU, BABADAGH))|
ALTERNATE NAMES: BABADAG, BABADAU, BABADAGH. 44°54' N, 28°43' E,
The town is located at 4454 2843, 132.5 miles ENE of Bucharest and 70 km from Constanta. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 62 in 1900 and 106 in 1930. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1945. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 5 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated suburban hill has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 300 m x 170 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from the end of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. Some have portraits on stones.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Security and vandalism are serious threats. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Andrei Alexandru, Str. Stejarului 41, Babadag, judet Tulcea. Phone: 040/561656 on 8 July 2001. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 17:47|