AVRAMESTI: Mures County, Transylvania Print

Avrămeşti (Hungarian: Szentábrahám:is a commune in Harghita County,Romani in the Székely Land, an ethno-cultural region in eastern Transylvania and composed of eight villages:

In RomanianIn Hungarian
Andreeni Magyarandrásfalva
Avrămeşti Szentábrahám
Cecheşti Csekefalva
Firtănuş Firtosmartonos
Goagiu Gagy
Medişoru Mic Kismedesér
Laz-Firtănuş Firtosmartonosi Láz
Laz-Şoimuş Solymosi Láz

Before 1876, the village was part of the Székely seat of Udvarhelyszék, In 1918, it was a part of Udvarhely County in the Kingdom of Hungary. After the Treaty of Trianon of 1920, it became part of Romania.

 

The cemetery is located in Ludus, Cioarga Str., no. 1, cod 4350, judet Mures, 4629 2406, 171.5 miles NNW of Bucharest and 44 km from Targu Mures. Alternate names: Maros Ludas (Hungarian), Ludas (Romanian), Ludus (Romanian.) Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Mayor Dancu Ovidiu, tel. 411628, 411548, Ludus
  • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Str., no. 23, cod 4300, Tel. 0040 - 65 161810, Tîrgu Mures, Romania.
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str., no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Salcudean Ioan, Bisericii Str. no. 2, tel. 412114, Ludus

The 1857 Jewish population by census was 3, that from 1880 was 218, and from 1930 census was 565. During the Holocaust, this was one of the transit points of the Jewish refugees from Northern Transylvania to Romania. In September 1944, the Hungarian army in retreat committed excesses against the Jewish population.

The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 1830. Last known burial was 1989. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 2000 m. 100-500 stones are visible, 1-20 stones not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, sandstone, and limestone flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew, Hungarian, and Romanian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is Greek-Orthodox cemetery. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erecting and cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals.

Within the limits of the cemetery is an abandoned house, formerly that of the caretaker. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vandalism is a moderate threat. (Stones were stolen in the past.)

Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 11August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (The 1850 Jewish population census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

They interviewed Salcudean Ioan, Ludus. [January 2003]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 17:39