|ARPASU DE SUS: Sibiu County, Transylvania|
The cemetery location is Arpasu de Sus, Principala Str., code 2406, judet Sibiu, Transylvania, 4544 2437, 115.3 miles NW of Bucharest and.58 km from Sibiu.. The alternate name is Felso-Arpas (Hungarian), Oberarpasch (German.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 12 in 1880, nineteen in 1910, and zero in 1930. The Jews from Sibiu County, Transylvania were taken in forced labor detachments and were deported all over the country, and especially in Moldova, between 1942-1944. The 19th and 20th century unlandmarked Orthodox isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is entirely closed. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 30 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone, marble, and granite gravestones have inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery with no maintenance or care. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap. 6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190
No interviews. [January 2003]