You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania APAHIDA: Cluj County (Bruckendorf) and Apahida, Bodrog, Câmpeneşti, Corpadea, Dezmir, Pata, Sânnicoară, Sub Coastă
APAHIDA: Cluj County (Bruckendorf) and Apahida, Bodrog, Câmpeneşti, Corpadea, Dezmir, Pata, Sânnicoară, Sub Coastă PDF Print E-mail

also see town of Cluj. Apahida (HungarianApahidaGermanBruckendorfLatinPons Abbatis) is a commune composed of eight villages: Apahida, Bodrog, Câmpeneşti, Corpadea, Dezmir, Pata, Sânnicoară and Sub Coastă.


US Commission report [no number cited]

Alternate name: Apahida (Hungarian); Pons Abbatis (Latin). Apahida is located in Cluj county, Transylvania at 46°48' 23°42', 12 km from Cluj-Napoca. The cemetery is located at Apahida, 3411, jud. Cluj, Romania. Present town population is 5,000 - 25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Ionel Farcas, mayor.
  • The Jewish Community of Cluj, Tipografiei Str. 25, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Tel. 0040-64-196600.
  • Regional: The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Str. Sf. Vineri, No. 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • Interested: "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Str. Universitatii No. 7-9, cam. 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Director: Ladislau Gyemant This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
  • Caretaker with key: Fratean Ana, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 70, Apahida, 3411, jud. Cluj, Romania.

The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. The 1930 Jewish population was 56. Between May 25-June 9, 1944, Jews were placed into the ghetto of Cluj and deported to Auschwitz. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery, established in 19th century, was 1 km. from the congregation. The unlandmarked isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all via continuous fence and a non-locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 75x20 m. Less than 20 stones remain with 50% to 75% stones not toppled or broken [sic]. The twentieth century flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The national Jewish community owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery with rare private visitors. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery was not vandalized between 1981-91. Jewish groups within country fixed the wall before 1989. Cluj Jewish congregation pays the regular caretaker.

Ovidiu Pecican, Professor, historian, E. de Martonne Str. 1, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Tel: 0040-64-405300 completed the survey on March 28, 2000 after a visit on March 19. Documentation: Otto Mittelstrass, Historisch-Landeskundlicher Atlas von Siebenburgen. Ortsnamenbuch, Heidelberg, 1992. The General Census of the Population of Romania December 29, 1930, I-III, Bucharest, 1938; Ernst Wagner, Historisch-statistisches Ortsnamenbuch fur Moshe Carmilly- Weinberger, History of the Jews of Transylvania.

REFERENCE: http://www.cjnet.ro/t/turrural.html [December 2000]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 16:37
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution