|AGHIRESU: Cluj judet|
Alternate names: Aghireş, Aghireşu, Aghireşul, Aghiriş, Egeres [Hung]. The commune with an area of 105.79 km2 and a population of 7156 people (2007) is composed of eleven villages: Aghireșu, Aghireșu-Fabrici (Egeres-gyártelep), Arghișu (Argyas), Băgara (Bogártelke), Dâncu (Dank), Dorolțu (Nádasdaróc), Inucu (Inaktelke), Leghia (Jegenye), Macău (Mákófalva), Ticu (Forgácskút) and Ticu-Colonie (Ferencbánya).
Located at 46°53' 23°15', 32 km from Cluj-Napoca and 27.5 km from Huedin in Cluj judet, 218.0 miles NW of Bucureşti . The cemetery is at 3469 com. Aghire u, jud. Cluj, (Transylvania), Romania. Total town population 8001 with no Jews.
The Census of 1850 registered 39 Jews of a total present population 907. Increasing in 1857 to 44 Jews of a total population of 975. 1880 Jewish population was 46 registered Jews of a total population of 973. In 1930, there were 126 Jews. In May 1944, the Jewish population was concentrated in the ghetto of Cluj and deported in Auschwitz on May 25, 29, 31 and June 3, 8, and 9.
The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. Jews from other towns and villages about 5 km away used site. Although landmarked, Professor Moldovan, who works on a general urban planning for Aghires, will propose the cemetery for landmark status. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous fence and locking gate. The cemetery pre-World War II and current size is 975 sq. meter.** 55 stones exist with 29 in original locations. 26 are toppled or broken. The location of stones removed from cemetery is unknown. The oldest known gravestone dates from the 19th century. The granite, limestone, and volcanic tuff flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or special sections.
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Romania owns the property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural, a country road, and private properties. Boundaries are smaller because of agriculture.** Jews and non-Jewish private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery possibly was vandalized during World War II. In 1992, Gypsies stole 12 panels of wire fence and the gate. Cluj Jewish community made repairs (1993-1997). Care of the cemetery included clearing vegetation and fixing wall and gate. Cluj-Napoca Jewish Community did restoration in 1970s and annually since gaining control of it. Cluj Jewish congregation pays a regular caretaker. There are no structures. Security, weather erosion, vandalism, and incompatible existing nearby development are serious threats. Vegetation is a slight threat, a seasonal problem preventing access.
Mircea-Sergiu Moldovan completed the survey on August 13, 1998 after a visit on August 6. Those interviewed include Nicolae Babinciuc, Cornel Nut, Aghiresu.
http://www.cjnet.ro/t/turrural.html has a small mention about changes in rural villages. [December 2000]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 27 December 2012 18:38|