|ADAMUS: Mures County, Transylvania|
Alternate name: Adămuş. 46°18' N 24°14' E , 157.5 miles NW of Bucureşti. It is composed of six villages: Adămuş, Chinciuş, Corneşti, Crăieşti, Dâmbău and Herepea. Until 1918, the village belonged to the Maros-Torda County of the Kingdom of Hungary. After the Treaty of Trianon of 1920, it became part of Romania.
The cemetery is located in Adamus at Soimilor Str. no. 2, cod 3230, judet Mures, 4618 2414, 157.5 miles NW of Bucharest and 5 km from Tarnaveni. The alternate name is Adamos (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 144 and in 1930 was 43. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and iron boulders, flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, carved relief decorated, and double tombstone gravestones have Hebrew, Romanian, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on August, 11, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Csiki Gheorghe, Adamus. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 27 December 2012 18:22|