INGENHEIM PDF Print E-mail
INGENHEIM: 76831 Rhineland-Palatinate (now 76831 Billigheim-Ingenheim) (Peters).
Ein Burgstall in Ingenheim: in Pfaelzer Heimat 44 (1993) S. 127-128 Iphofen. Also see Essing, Jebenhausen and Iphofen.

The Jewish cemetery in Ingenheim is well-kept, located on sloping land on the road from Ingelheim to Heuchelheim-Klingen, and is surrounded by a metal fence with a locked iron gate. The gate is supported by two masonry columns; one of the columns has a plaque in German: "Judischer Friedhof Ingenheim, Bestehend Seit 1650, Mögen die hier bestatteten für alle zeiten ungestört ruhen", followed by a Hebrew inscription.

The key is kept in the Mayor's office in nearby Billigheim. Call in advance (00.49.63.49.82.90), after 2:00p.m., to arrange for someone with the key to meet you at the cemetery at an appointed time.

Adjacent properties are residential and agricultural (vineyards). The cemetery does not appear to have been vandalized, but has suffered some damage from the December 1999 storm (uprooted trees have disturbed some of the gravestones).

There appear to be more than 500 stones, with less than 5% toppled or broken. The older stones have Hebrew inscriptions only. Others have Hebrew and German inscriptions. I am told that the burial register no longer exists. Source: Carol Monahan, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

DISTRICT: Südliche Weinstraße
ADDRESS: Am Zäberling
In use: from 1685 to 1934; enlarged 1859.
Gravestones: approximately 2200
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 995 by Bernhard Kukatzki (photos, List of Deceased from Heuchelheim)
  • 2004 by Joachim Hahn (photos) by Alemannia -Judaica.
    PUBLICATIONS:
  • History by Arnold 1967, page 95 (photos iin annex)
  • History by Schmidt 1989, page 114.
  • History by Arnold 1991, page 3.
  • History by Kukatzki 1993, S. 21-23.
  • History, photos, limited List of Deceased by Kukatzki 1995, pages 63-70.
  • History in Rheinland-Pfalz 1995, page 34 -35.
  • History by Peters/Strehlen 1998,pages 52,58.
  • History by Arnold 2000, pages 125-127.
  • History, photos on:http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/ingenheim_friedhof.htm
    COMMENT: The Jews of Billigheim buried their dead in Queichhambach (now part of 76857 Annweiler am Trifels) prior to having their own cemetery; Hermann Arnold (1991)includes a chronological catalogue of burials without dates or names.
    Source: http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institute/sonst/aj/FRIEDHOF/PFALZ/PROJEKTE/f-rlp-gm.htm#Ingenheim [translated from German October 2007]
  •  
    Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution